Friday, August 24, 2007

Challenges and a Meme

OK Finally catching up with my challenges- the two I have are the Something about Me and The Dystopian Challenges. While I was offline I had missed the linked email to join the Book Awards challenge so I won’t bother the organiser and ask to join again!

Something About Me
I cannot find my list of books chosen from other peoples books so I am thinking maybe I didn’t get that far, especially as I didn’t post them on my blog, only the ones chosen for other people to pick from. If I have the go ahead I am going to choose another 5 books for the challenge. These are
- Enduring Love by Ian McEwan (F) chosen by Kristin. I have also wanted to read another McEwan after enjoying Atonement so this seemed a perfect time to try another.
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (F) chosen by Pattie. I have started a restarted this book several times and really want to finish it, so this will help me along.
- The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall (F) chosen by Julie. As a teacher I am always looking out for new children’s books and I really liked the sound of this one.
- Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote (F) chosen by Lucca. After reading To Kill a Mockingbird recently and looking up the life of Harper Lee I was interested by her friendship with Capote.
- The World According to Garp by John Irving (F) chosen by Dewey and Chasida. I have seen Irving mentioned a few times on other people’s blogs and again thought this would be an ideal time to try him out!

Dystopian Challenge Books
The Road
Animal Farm
Brave New World
The Handmaid's Tale


I have also spent some time browsing other blogs, linked from some of the regular ones I visit. The thing is my list is getting so long now, there are some really interesting ones out there but my life will be spent looking through them! How does everyone else manage it?

I have also come across this meme in about a million blogs so thought I would also give it a go. I have lost track of who started it and where it is from!

What are you reading now?
I am restarting Song of Susannah by Stephen King and also various teaching books.

Do you have any idea what you'll read when you're done with that?
I will try and get started on one of my challenge books but I am also eying up my recent library haul including Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood and The Laments by George Hagen.

What magazines do you have in your bathroom right now?
None

What's the worst thing you were ever forced to read?
Some new educational government initiative probably.

What's the one book you always recommend to just about everyone?
There isn’t really one, I recommend different books to different people!

Admit it, the librarians at your library know you on a first name basis, don't they?

Not by name, well apart from one but that’s because I go to her book group! Some of the others know me by face only.

Is there a book you absolutely love, but for some reason, people never think it sounds interesting, or maybe they read it and don't like it at all?

Years ago it was The Dud Avocado by Elaine Dundy but cannot think of anything recently.

Do you read books while you eat? While you bathe? While you watch movies or TV? While you listen to music? While you're on the computer? While you're having sex? While you're driving?

Yes for eating, computer and music. I only have a shower in the flat so until someone invents a waterproof book that’s a no. I don’t have a TV but we watch films on the computer and if I am getting bored I slyly read a book. I don’t drive but get the bus and I try and read on there (unless it is one of those days that it makes me feel sick!) And sex, no. OH would kill me.

When you were little, did other children tease you about your reading habits?
Not really but they all knew I was a shy little thing anyway and left me to my books. My mum couldn’t (and still can’t) understand why I read so much and used to use that as a punishment

What's the last thing you stayed up half the night reading because it was so good you couldn't put it down?

The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

That reminds me, better do my review for The Road!

2 comments:

kookie said...

Yeah, 'The Road' did that to me as well. I couldn't even think about anything else until I finished it.

a.book.in.the.life said...

I found this an incredibly strange book. For the first few pages I thought to myself that there was no way I was going to get into it but then suddenly I was swept away with it!